Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Decisions, Decisions?

Today I was offered an opportunity to camp..... outside. 

At the Pole (and in McMurdo too), we can go through a survival training of sorts.  In 12 hours, I would go through some classroom training, then hike about 5 miles away from the station, learn to start a stove, set up a tent, and survive in the elements.  It seems like great training (for perhaps a distance sled dog race?!?!).  And, it would allow me to go to field camps around Antarctica if given the opportunity. 

It's been -30'ish here, with windchills in the -50's. 

Should I or shouldn't I? 

("You only live once" is playing in my head!)

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to be applying for a job on the ice this coming spring. In preparation, I've been reading every conceivable thing I can about living in Antarctica. I think I have close to 25 ice bloggers on my feed reader.

    I cannot tell you how many Happy Camper stories I have read. All of them have said it was worth it - it was hard, and tiring, and they come away feeling competent in ways they never have before. (if you want to have an easier time, sleep in the tent instead of your trench)

    I say GO FOR IT! (and take lots of pictures to share) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say GO FOR IT!! your already freezing out their,-50ain' t nothing,i do it all the time *lol!!* Hey if you don't do it,you will regret it! if that helps any :)-marlon

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shouldn't even be asking the queston. This is a once in a life time experiance and doing it is part of the experiance. Absolutley go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, you only live once. Did you do it??

    ReplyDelete