Monday, November 7, 2011

Shower day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, friends I've made it.  It's Monday night here on the ice, and my last shower was Thursday morning.  I made it 5 days! Here at the South Pole, we don't have much water.  Even though we have plenty of ice, it takes a lot gas/electricity to melt.  We don't have much of that either.  The gas at the South Pole is either flown in (a few thousand gallons at a time), or "trucked" in (from McMurdo, it takes 30 days to get here).  Soo.... at the Pole, we are allowed a 2 minute shower, twice a week.

So, happy day!

I promise I will get a picture of the Poles/Station up at some point.  (I haven't even walked out to the Pole yet!!)  For now, enjoy a picture of a LC-130 that came in today.  The picture is taken right outside my office on an observation deck.  5 winterovers finally escaped!  (Winterovers- about 40 people who stay here from the time the sun sets in February until it rises again in October.. they keep the building running and enjoy the negative 100+ temps!  They see no planes or any other people, they are locked in!)

1 comment: