Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Mansion

Well, not exactly a mansion, but I’m LIVING at the South Pole of the World!  I was finally able to get some pictures of my Jamesway (tent).  My beautiful establishment is in Jamesway 8, apartment 7.  There are about 14 rooms in my building.  I am fortunate because I’m in the middle, right next to the furnace!  So, heat gets to my room first and is the warmest air.  We keep our building about 70, so it’s very comfortable.  Unfortunately, I was only able to photograph my room, not the inside of the building.  Many work rotating shifts, and sleep during the day, so the hallway is always dark.  The pictures of my room are taken from my bed.  My room is about 8 x 6 or so.  Whoever was here before me insulated it very well.  I have old war wool blankets on the non-plywood walls.  The Jamesways themselves are also from the war.  
I’m really fairly fortunate with the room I got!  I can’t believe it even has a door locking system (well, the piece of wood is hung, quite literally, in place by a few screws sticking towards the outside, and therefor doesn’t “really” lock.. but it holds the door closed!).  

My Jamesway is on the left side of the picture.  There are about 18 or so Jamesways.


Does my front door have curb appeal???


Great storage!


Must keep the shoes and next days clothes on the top shelf!!!  The floor is ice cold, but the top is toasty!


My door lock!


The previous owner left me Christmas lights!  This is the vent that goes above my bed.  It's got a few holes in it, so the warm air blows on me while I sleep!!  


Tonight was laundry night!  Whoo hoo!  This is once a week, one load maximum occurrence.  And the washers are super small!  Tomorrow I am volunteering in the greenhouse!  Everyone is encouraged to help out, and I picked the greenhouse!  It’s 70% humidity and super warm in there!!  (South Pole is 3% humidity).  Hopefully I’ll learn something!  I’ll be working there about 3 hours a week for the season!  

3 comments:

  1. This is neat. The tents remind me of MASH. I'll submit your front door to HGTV. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really neat following your adventure. Keep the posts coming of this amazing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well,for someone who packed more than she weights lol i would say you needed to pack a little bit more....your crib could do with alot more stuff, maybe some pictures,and a lava lamp....i bet that would go for at-least $1500 a month in New-york city :),but very neat and shocking at the same time,I would of think that with the amount of information,research and people that come through their,housing would piority #1 or 2,guess not? ...but the christmas lights adds a great home feeling-- thanks for sharing:),i am glad you got which seems to be the best room!!a 5 star presidential suite,which heats up the quickest!!,being from Texas your blood is thin lol :P anything below 70 is cold for me...enjoy your greenhouse experiment,duct tape is awesome,works on everything!! great front door lock security,but then again who is insane enough to break in their at -100 degs ...and oh by the way,i think SNUGGLES is the best fabic softner, i am so kidding :)... -marlon.

    ReplyDelete