Saturday, November 5, 2011

It's my job

So, at the Pole, I am a Comms Operator (Communications).  I love my job so far!  For my Express Jet friends, it's just like being the SOCC Manager, only for Pole operations instead of airline operations.  About half my job is flight following the flights to/from the Pole.  The military jets take off, report times to Mac Center (McMurdo Center), and I hear them.  I record them and note the progress.  When the aircraft are within range, I give them the current weather (Metar), then a current altimeter/winds on final approach. It's great!  I love talking to the military pilots!!!  When airplanes come and go, I announce it to the station, so everyone is aware and they stay clear of the skiway (runway).  Today, we are up to 187 people at the Pole!

The other half of my job is emergency response.  I monitor most systems and ensure they are operating properly (Powerplant, generators.. ).  I also monitor fire alarms and coordinate response to medical emergencies.

My job is the best!  :)  I get several visitors a day- just popping in to check out a radio, reserve a conference room, watch planes land, or just ask what time lunch is served!  It's certainly the hub of all information on station!  I also have the best view in the house!  My office overlooks part of the runway and the Ice Cube project.  I think I'll know just about everyone on station by the time my 3 months are up!



5 comments:

  1. Kewl! Glad you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic. Sounds like you are enjoying your job. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the watch-dog is the best part!!! :),is all the desk always that messy,that would drive me insane:P,i bet you picked up on learning that job really quick...oh what's the ice-cube project?not ailen?.glad your enjoying it! marlon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Need any Mx Controllers down there? ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so fun! Love looking at all the little intricacies in the office. The headphone dog sticks out above all. And I like the time zone clock. Definitely sounds a whole lot better than XJT. What a blessing!

    In prayers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete